Strong Women, Strong Girls launched in South Florida in 2009 to:
- Meet the need for girl specific programs. There are 26,000 girls eligible for Strong Women, Strong Girls programming in Miami-Dade County.
- Build a culture of civic engagement among young people in the community. South Florida ranks 50 out of 50 large cities in levels of civic engagement.
During the 2012-13 program year, 60 mentors from five college chapters are empowering more than 400 girls at 18 partner sites. Supporting these young women and girls are 15 adult volunteers who serve as Leadership Coaches and Site Monitors.
To continue to expand the work of Strong Women, Strong Girls to serve girls throughout the community, we need your help! For information on getting involved with Strong Women, Strong Girls, contact the South Florida Team.
Higher Education Partners
Strong Women, Strong Girls South Florida partners with five institutions of higher education to leverage the time, energy, and talent of college undergraduate women. Through these partnerships, Strong Women, Strong Girls engages mentors to volunteer at a partner elementary school or community-based program sites in their community.
- Barry University
- Florida International University
- Miami Dade College-Homestead Campus
- Miami Dade College-Wolfson Campus
- University of Miami
Program Site Partners
Strong Women, Strong Girls South Florida partners with elementary schools and community-based organizations to provide programming at locations that are safe and accessible to girls. To be eligible to be a Strong Women, Strong Girls program site partner, at least 50% of the young people served must receive free or reduced lunch. In this way, Strong Women, Strong Girls works to provide resources to girls with tremendous potential, but who may not be able to access other programs or services.