It’s that time of year again when YOU have the opportunity to sit on a non-profit Board of Directors and work side-by-side with professionals advancing SWSG’s mission and cause! What’s so great about this position, you may ask. Having been involved with the Board since March 2011, I can easily list numerous reasons why you should consider applying!
- This is a unique, once in a collegiate lifetime opportunity. Traditionally, Boards are composed of professionals who have a clear passion about a given organization. In addition to being advocates for the non-profit’s mission, Board members represent the organization positively within their diverse professional fields, help with fundraising enterprises, and support overall programmatic growth. SWSG is unique in the fact that it invites two students to sit on the Board as well, meaning we get to rub elbows with some pretty impressive individuals. Which leads me to the next point…
- Your resume will look pretty impressive. Employers for part-time positions, internships, co-ops, and post-grad employment are sure to ask about your work on the Board of a national non-profit. This position is different from that of a role as a student leader on campus. Your input will effect the organization on a national level, which is not something many college students can say they have accomplished.
- The position offers incredible exposure to multiple careers. As a Board member, I have learned about careers that go hand in hand with non-profit work. Philanthropy, development, and strategic planning are just a sampling of the new fields I’m considering for a post-grad career because of my first-hand exposure to them.
- Your opinion truly matters. As mentors, we have a wealth of knowledge about the happenings of SWSG on the front lines. This first-hand perspective is incredibly valuable, as we can suggest steps the organization can take to improve and better serve our strong girls.
- You can deepen your connection to SWSG. Prior to joining the Board, I thought I was a pretty big SWSG supporter. My new role has allowed me to see organization in a new light and I could not be prouder to be a mentor and Chapter Director. We are backed by an outstanding group of individuals who believe in the work we do and it’s inspiring to know that their passion for SWSG is just as great as ours.
I encourage you to consider this incredible opportunity. Be on the look out for an application from your Program Manager in the coming weeks and feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.